Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A summary - from herring to heart

I seem to be getting slack again in my food chronicles. So to keep you going while I get around to writing up the Fat Duck (mmmm....!), here is a summary of a few places visited over the last few weeks which I have neglected to showcase in greater detail.


Upper Glas -- a new Swedish place above the Islington antiques market. I wanted to like it, being a fan of all things Scandinavian (apart from the queues at Ikea). It was a very light, summery kind of place, but lacking in atmosphere as we were the only diners. The service was friendly, but the waitress tended to disappear when we needed her. The menu is short, and you can pick, tapas-style, which dishes you want to come in big portions and which in small. Overall for me though I didn't enjoy the food that much, though this was probably my fault for over-ordering the pickled fish (I do like herring, but turns out not that much). 359 Upper Street; Tube: Angel


Royal Inn on the Park - a well-located pub just outside Victoria Park. Big garden, decent grub and good selection of beers. Perfect for a lazy afternoon. 111 Lauriston Road, E9 7HJ; Tube: Bethnal Green


Mirch Masala - amazing onion bhajees and generally good Indian grub in an unpretentious cafe-style BYO place in Whitechapel.. 111-113 Commercial Road, E1 1RD; Tube: Whitechapel


Bleeding Heart Great French food and New Zealand wines from their own vineyard, and a murder story to read on the back of the menu if your date's boring. What more could you ask for? If someone else is paying, go for the "restaurant" in the cellars. Otherwise opt for the pub bit or the more elegant eating room on the floor below.. Bleeding Heart Yard, Greville Street, EC1N 8SJ; Tube: Farringdon

No comments: